Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Organic Walmart

This is controversial, so I apologize if this offends anyone, but I don't apologize for the opinion. ;) Time for a rant!!

Ok, so I have a hard time taking the "organic" thing seriously. Here's one reason why:

Linky

If the only difference between organic produce and "un-organic" produce is a well-placed sign, extra bruising, and double the price tag, then what the heck is the hype? You can't tell if your groceries are organic unless the sign is in the right place and big enough? It's now called a "movement", like women's suffrage was a movement.

Organic food seems to have become simply the latest fad in keeping well and healthy, just another chip in the pile of extreme dieting practices that have only slight impact on any person's life but significant impact on their pocket books.

Sure, do stuff in as natural a way as possible but I won't dispute that a little genetic tampering (it's called breeding in most cases) and chemicals is nice stuff. Some countries would struggle terribly to grow enough food to feed its own without such intervention. Hardier plants, larger fruits, and fewer pests are a great thing! I won't be confined by all of those out there who take their eating habits to a moral level, eliminating from the "acceptable" diet anything but what a monkey of 500 years ago would eat.

Oh, wait, monkeys eat bugs. There is no natural diet on the planet that humans will 100% emulate if you take into consideration both our social inhibitions and physical needs. (We eat bugs, too, but I don't think food coloring counts. It doesn't have a face when you actually crunch it.)

Don't bug me about organic stuff. I like my pesticides. I'll wash the wax off my apple, but I'll also savor how unnaturally large and worm-free and yummy it is.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think buying organic has its place. But, you knew that about me. ;) We try to avoid meat & milk products from animals that had hormone therapy. Beyond that, we triage our organic purchases--buying stuff that's hard to wash properly or that are subject to lots of chemicals.

I agree, though, that there is a lot of gouging of the innocent/stupid/trendy customer in sales. Like, organic oranges?

I've noticed Wal-Mart carries the Kashi & Annie's natural product lines now. Target and Hyvee are now carrying only "smart" chicken. I think it's just a marketing trend.

Andrea Hardee said...

I agree with you totally, that buying things b/c you prefer them, they taste better, or just generally work for you is a good thing. But doing it on moral grounds when you can't even tell the difference unless the signs are prominent seems totally unreal to me. You mentioned once that the organic spring mix just tastes better, and I agree that those biter biscuits did make a lot less of a mess.