Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The pacifier vacuum (cross post)

When Baby was immobile (how many months ago was that? geez.. ) I was always able to find her pacifiers after her nap. How far can a little person really throw those things? They would sometimes roll around and I'd smile complacently knowing that they could all be found. I prided myself on the fact that until she was 6 months old, I had all of the pacifiers we had acquired since her birth accounted for.

Then.

She learned how to crawl. (ominous theme music plays)

I have purchased 10 pacifiers to work with her older mouth and, this very afternoon, could account for one (1). And that one was the emergency only pacifier. I began to think of all the places where a little person like her could have left those things, to what little spirit did she sell them for pieces of candy, to what small worm hole did she toss them with glee, and most importantly, can I find one before nap time.

She always loses them in one particular room in the house. I need to just sit and watch her one day to see where they all end up. Perhaps tomorrow.

So this evening I went on a mad hunt for these things. Couch cracks, between furniture and walls, under everything, between everything, even going so far as the crawl around on the floor to see what she might see. I think everyone around me was starting to get a little worried about my skulking about, ranting and muttering about vacuous space where some day I'm going to find millions of pacifiers tucked away in an alternate plane of existence.

I determined that I would search the house top to bottom until I had found at least half of the pacifiers I know I own, wondering what sort of pain I was actually promising myself. I took a break to tuck the older two kids in bed when I saw a brown and blue little object winking at me from my very own bed frame.

Could it be?

Of course it was! Yay! As I stashed it in my pocket I just had to laugh when my hand came in contact with my second discovery: the one I lost before dinner. Two! On a roll, I looked behind my bed and found another 3, including that silly ribbon that's supposed to clip the darn things to her clothes.

So, now I know where 6 pacifiers are. I'm missing a pink, a blue, and two yellows. I just thought it was kinda funny that the vacuous space I was ranting about would be under my own bed.

No passing the buck on that one. :)

No comments: