Thursday, March 10, 2011

Homemade furniture

Oh, I love to make things. It isn't very often that I put them to much use since I like the process more than the application, but I'm starting to think that making things only to hide them until I feel good about throwing them away is an utter waste.

So, I want to make one these:

Link.

And look at all those tools you need for it. I'm sure I could get by without a nailer and a sander, and a jig saw might do the work of the circular saw as well. It would be really hard to hide one of these babies, especially after painting it something fun like bright blue. If I made two or modified the plans to make six cubbies we're all have no excuse for putting backpacks and jackets on the couch (not that we wouldn't try with all our might to make new excuses stick). One lady even modified hers to add small drawers above the jacket cubby which makes the unit even more desirable.

It's interesting how DIY used to be a necessity, just something young people of a certain social class grew up learning. Now it's a sort of elitist hobby. What a funny old world.

No comments: