Sunday, May 17, 2009

Potato salad

We went to a Baptism BBQ last night (celebration after a baptism) and I offered to bring potato salad. It was a hit, so I'm going to write it down before I forget all the ways I didn't follow the recipe in The Best Recipe cookbook.

A Kick of Pickle Potato Salad

Note: I was making this for close to 40 people. Feel free to not make this much salad.

5 pounds yukon gold potatoes
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
about 1 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
about 3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (or more to taste)
6 hard boiled eggs
1 cup minced fresh onion (I used a sweet white, and it was about half of a large one)
3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 cups mayo (no miracle whip for this recipe)
6 tablespoons dijon mustard
parsley, a good palm full
dill, about 2 tsps

Scrub the potatoes, leave them whole, and boil in *not* salted water. Leaving them in their skins keeps them from getting water logged and keeps the salad from getting runny. Test with a knife, and when done drain and allow to cool on a jelly roll pan for just a few minutes. When you can handle them without hurting yourself, rough chunk them into bite sized pieces. You can skin them if you like, I leave them on (which is why I use a thin-skinned potato and scrub). As you put them in a large bowl (I used my huge steel canning bowl) sprinkle in vinegar, salt, and pepper. Measure it out beforehand and just sprinkle. Toss the potatoes once they are all done and taste a potato. It should taste salty and vinegary, but not too much. (was that vague enough?) Refrigerate while you make the dressing.

In a smaller bowl, combine the dressing. I don't have an egg slicer, so it was just easier for me to pop the yolk out, chop the white and just sort of mash the yolk. Chop it decently fine into 1/4" chunks or smaller. Mince the onion. Measure out the pickle relish and don't worry too much about getting too much pickle juice. Add mayo, mustard, and herbs. Fold until combined.

Pour dressing all over the top of the potatoes and fold gently until combined. Taste and correct flavors as desired. I usually end up adding a bit more salt and pepper.

(note for newbies: this is a salad that must rest for at least 2 hours, especially if you use dried herbs. )

No comments: