Wednesday, May 20, 2009

pics

For some reason I'm having issues with taking clear pictures lately. Getting good ones without flash can be a challenge when you're working with kids.








So, I've got these callings now. Man and I are nursery leaders (13 kids under the age of 3 for two hours every week) and I'm the compassionate service coordinator. The shock of having a calling that radically impairs my ability to get to know any other adults while having another calling that requires that I have at least a working knowledge of who's active in the ward has slowly started to diminish. I told the elder's quorum pres that if I got a calling in the Primary that I was going to cry, and I was true to my word. Oh, well. They reassured us that they put the most spiritual, strongest people in callings with children and we fit the bill. Flattery? Who knows. Such words didn't even touch my ego since I was so absorbed in my own disappointment. I don't mind serving in the church, I just don't like the isolation of working in nursery. It's a fine calling after you've been around a while and have already made a bunch of friends. Anyway, enough of my whining. What other calling can you get where you play with toys, have a snack, and play with bubbles? I tell you what though, I'm going to be wearing pants to church for this one. No way are skirts an option with that much sitting on the floor.

The three month food storage plan is slowly fleshing out. Man and I had a talk last night about meal options where most of the ingredients are shelf stable and freezer safe. If you've got a family that doesn't like tomatoes (and boy do they have another thing coming since I planted 9 tomato plants) or canned vegetables, and Man doesn't care for eggs at all, it's difficult to come up with much besides canned chicken and rice or spaghetti. Most food storage recipes are for breads and soups and the diverse uses of oatmeal, or hiding beans in baked goods (which Man assures me "isn't so bad... if you havn't had a real cookie or brownie in 3 months.") Needless to say my spread sheets are getting a run for their money what with price listing, menu planning, and food storage planning.

And the day is yet young and gorgeous outside. Time to throw dinner in the slow cooker and get vacuuming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some gorgeous kids you got there! Smooch, smooch & wiggle, wiggle!!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Nursery is such a bi-polar calling isn't it?! You guys will be great - and the new manual is fabulous! Good luck mixing those two callings!