Monday, March 31, 2008

Standard American Diet

Yes, the Standard American Diet really is SAD.

Tag told me yesterday that he knows that when you mix green and orange, you get pink.

Why? Because his AppleJacks made the milk turn pink.

I havn't bought cold cereal in a few weeks just because 1) it's gross, 2) it's expensive, 3) it uses a ton of (expensive) milk and, 4) they're always hungry an hour after breakfast. The Commissary had a really great deal on it though, and Man often recounts his feelings of gross deprivation as a young person when his mom only very rarely bought cold cereal. I'm starting to understand her reasons more as the budget is stretched and they experience gastrointestinal pyrotechnics (thank you, Emilie) mere hours after eating those food coloring pellets. I can buy a box of cereal for $2 or less or a couple of quarts of dried oatmeal for just over $1. Guess which one lasts longer. Add fresh fruit and maybe some yogurt and you have a meal that sticks around until lunch time.

Speaking of lunch time, Miss Princess is gone to school today! Time to dance like a lemur and get back to that schedule I was whining about.

You awesome homeschooling moms, I don't know how you do it. A friend just called and through the course of conversation talked about homeschooling her kid which brought up that niggling little urge I keep tightly caged, severely beaten, and stashed in a cellar in the back of my mind. K, wanna homeschool my kids, too, if the price is right? I can afford a handful of marbles and a jar of Nutella every week.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Good for you that you don't normally buy cold cereal. And I do admire those who homeschool, although considering my issues with stress and generally feeling disorganized and overwhelmed, I'm able to put any inklings of homeschooling ambition on the shelf.