Sunday, March 09, 2008

Shorthand

My Butterfly Princess is learning how to write and read. Watching her go through hundreds of pages and activities that teach her correct form has brought up a lot of memories of all the times throughout my academic career when people tried to elevate my handwriting to something more than legible. Hey, legible is fine with me. Soon will be the day when our kindergarteners will have typing lessons instead of handwriting lessons. At least, if I have anything to do with it.

My biggest complaint is how cramped my hand gets while taking notes. In debate they teach us how to "flow" or take notes in a linear fashion where each argument marches across a page with each subpoint arranged in descending order and likewise flowing across the length of a legal-sized piece of white paper. In this manner it's possible to see, at a glance, the evolution of a very fast paced, complex, multi-subject debate. The only problem? My handwriting.

The way I write driving directions is to indicate an action by circling a letter that begins with the desired action. For instance, (R) would be a right hand turn. (X) is a stop sign. Each action is followed by a description of where it should be done.

(R) Reservation Rd.
(L) (X) S. Davis Rd.
And always write the full address of your destination.

The only problem? My handwriting.

So why am I taking a peek at shorthand? First of all because it's cool-looking Second, it appears to be delightfully practical. Third, it's quirky which makes it automatically endearing.

Link to video of a short... well, shorthand lesson.

There are lots of different ways to write shorthand.

Observe this one that looks like a different language.

The above video looks marvelous. It looks like she would have superior normal handwriting. She makes it look so easy! It looks like a complicated version of Arabic.

But what would I use it for? In this age of phones and emails, I guess I could write up shopping lists. But then there's Recipezaar that prints them for me (complete with a little chart telling me which recipe each item is for) and, when I'm too busy to do it myself all I have to do is ask Man to go shopping for me. "Oh, just buy stuff for whatever dinners you feel like eating this week." Haha!

Here's his favorite Hoisin Chicken recipe:
The most important part of this recipe is a GOOD QUALITY hoisin sauce. I use Koon Chun which I've been able to find in both Kansas and California at Japanese or Asian markets.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into one inch pieces

For sauce
5 fluid ounces hoisin sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon dried ginger
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce(use the good stuff)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

For serving with
6 cups steamed rice


Directions

1Heat olive oil in a large skillet.


2Add chicken and brown on one side. Stir briefly and then...

3Add sauce ingredients all at once. Cook at a high boil until sauce is reduced and thicker but not sticky. This can take upwards of 10 minutes. It can get insanely rich by the time it gets sticky so saucy tends to be best.

4Serve over basmati rice, with a side of sauteed stir fry veggies.

Apparently leftovers are pretty good the next day. I wouldn't know, I've never had any before. We have to make tons of this in order to have leftovers for Man's lunch.

No comments: