Wednesday, January 09, 2008

One less tooth at this cuckoo's nest

I like pediatric dentists. Or, at least the one I took the crew to see today. Pebbles had her very first cleaning (she hated it, but oh well) and Tag finally got his tooth taken care of. An x-ray revealed that he did, indeed, have a fairly good-sized abscess messing from the root of his dead tooth and getting in the way of his developing adult tooth. Out it must come to protect the permanent tooth. No spacer needed, since apparently front teeth don't behave like back teeth and won't crowd. The dentist said that we could put a fake tooth in for aesthetics, but they could be very high maintenance things that I didn't look like someone who wanted something high maintenance (once again, all four kids came with me). So, out it came and nothing had to go back in. No root canal, either, since it's a freaking baby tooth for Pete's sake.

Anyway, the two older girls have eye drops and antibiotics for their conjunctivitis which necessitates a 4 times daily for 5 days ritual of sitting on them, prying their eyes open, and dripping an innocuous-looking but apparently lethal-feeling substance on their pretty and terrified orbs.

And now I will descend into my cave and not go out with four kids ever again. I will hide from the world, make no appointments, invite no company, and become a disagreeable ogre so everyone will leave me alone.

No comments: