Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Year's resolutions

I was reading the other day that betting someone regarding a resolution gives people the greatest chance of success. In other words, put money down and if you slip up, a portion of it goes away, never to return. A deposit toward a better you, as it were.

I wonder if that's a Lent sort of idea, giving something up for a brief time to acquire a greater reward.

What would you give up to get what you want?

For instance, I'm interested in getting in shape. I don't want to be a slave to my scale, but I do want to feel better, have more energy, all that garbage people talk about when they decided to get in shape. So what would I give up or at least put at risk in order to create an adequate incentive to actually accomplish what I set out to do?

I always seem to go through a slump after giving birth, then I do really well with exercise until I get pregnant again.

My current arrangement is something we did a while ago before Christmas: Man is forbidden from bringing junk food in the house, and I will simply not buy it at all. Got a craving? Grab the baby carrots or a tall drink of water. I'm a food addict and an emotional eater. I'm not currently interested in that whole 12 step thing for addicts (sorry, my dear sweet woman who has grown and learned from that great program) but I will settle for forced abstinence while I get back into the habit of intentional, unforced, consistent, bodily locomotion.

Anyone want to move out here and be my walking buddy? I have one week left before my medical excuse for not exercising is lifted and I will once again be accountable for working out.

KM, look for my blog crashing about then. ;) And I'll start with my current weight, not my about to deliver weight (I lost 32 pounds of baby, water, and miscellaneous in 2.5 weeks).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want, I wouldn't mind sharing my space--we could have little "Updates from A in Hawaii." I would love to come be your walking buddy. You know I would...brings back memories of Lawrence and all the conversations we could never post..! Scandalous!
::sniff:: ...good ol' days.
Okay. I'm getting sentimental.
:)

-KM