Saturday, January 20, 2007

Pricebooking (boring post unless you're a tightwad)

Has anyone else done a price book? I have a friend here who swears up and down that Albertson's was cheaper than the commissary and I've heard of this place called Smart and Final which is a restaurant supply store that carries a lot of bulk foods and cooking equipment. I wasn't surprised to learn that Costco and the commissary hands down beat any other grocery store in the area, but I was surprised to see that going to both of those stores is worth my dollars. It's kind of funny to see that they can have such wildly different prices for some things. I have a spreadsheet with the better deal highlighted in yellow and it seems to be pretty evenly split. The commissary is way better at produce (except bananas!!!) and meat, and Costco is far better at bulk dry goods like flour, some cheeses, canned soups, milk and corn dogs. Not to mention the free meal's worth of samples you get on a Saturday morning. I do miss Aldi quite a bit though. The selection of frozen veggies around here is mighty slim and the farmers' markets are a bit of a drive and available only sporadically. Another surprising thing is how much of the Costco selection focuses on organically grown products. I wonder if it's competing with Trader Joe's which is mostly organic.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I price book. I'm even fearfully frugal enough that I watch the sale cycles on my "regular" stores. It's a gleeful day to go stock up and buy a case of spaghetti sauce at a time. Sale shopping totally allows us the freedom in our budget to eat well.