Wednesday, February 04, 2009

-sigh-

In the swirling symphony of awesomeness that is my life, I still can't think of what to blog today.

How about Man's shoulder? He had a follow up with his surgeon yesterday. Turns out that he's getting frozen shoulder and the pain, which initially appeared to be diminishing, is still bad enough that living without pain meds isn't an option. Now what? We try chiropractic, and the fort we're moving to has some sort of pain treatment center he's going to try to get into. In the mean time we make sure to have full bottles of Tylenol Arthritis, Naprosyn, vet-grade Motrin, and Vicodin. We're even considering acupuncture. I think he should take yoga to help stretch himself out. He's a very tense person and I'm sure that the Army physical therapists aren't helping a whole lot. They tried deep tissue massage using some sort of scraping method that left enormous swaths of skin on the back, shoulder, and pec area deep purples and greens. It was shocking to see.

After getting dishes and laundry done yesterday, I took the little girls out to the mall so my house would stay clean for a while. Pebbles loved the fountains there and I got to scope out the bedding in the department stores. We also stopped at Bed, Bath and Beyond to see what they had to offer. The parking lot was bare enough that I wondered if it was open. After going inside and seeing price tags, I no longer wondered about the lack of people. Penny's was less expensive and had the same quality of linens.

After a day of window shopping Man and I sat down to discuss what we'd do with our tax return.

Man: Let's make a new list.

Me: We've done that about 3 times a year for the last few years. Why don't we just add to the old one?

Man: Oh, ok.

Me: Here it is. "TV". What size did you want again?

Man: Oh, we should get that after we move. [he got the Man Eye-Twinkle.]

Me: So, 38", 42"....

Man: Let's see what we have after we move. [Twinkle, Twinkle]

Me: [trying to figure out how I can express how silly it seems to me to have a bigger tv than we already possess. Isn't 36" big enough?]

Man: We could use the one we have as a computer monitor.

Me: Wh-What? [if I had the wherewithal to do a spit take, I woulda] A computer monitor?? A 36" computer monitor?? [I couldn't even conceive of such a thing]

Man: You don't think that's a good idea?

Me: [dumbfounded] There are starving, naked, plague-ridden people in every country in the world [take that, 60's mom], our kids need larger shoes and clothes about every 4 months, we have particle board chests of drawers, Frieda will need a bed in another year, we're not sure how long the van will last especially after another cross country move, the girls have utility shelves in their room instead of real furniture, and you want to use a 36" tv as a computer monitor?

Man: [looking a little hurt] That's why this is called a wish list.

And he's right. It doesn't hurt to dream.

But I'm still flabbergasted.

Man: Go ahead and put all that stuff you mentioned on the wish list and then we'll prioritize it. It's ok if the tv is dangling at the bottom.

Honestly, the only thing that kept us from getting a bigger tv earlier is that I got this entertainment center that can't hold a tv any larger than the one we have. Go, me. We'll have to wait on furniture purchases until we move. It's silly to buy things that suit this place only to take it somewhere else.

I think me and my trembling knees will have to hit garage sales for the kids' stuff. The wish list is long.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Good luck with his shoulder. That sounds miserable. Have you ever heard of "rosti" or "arrosti" treatment? I've heard a lot of good things about it. Maybe you could Google it. Jared has always expressed wishes for a bigger TV. Considering all the things there are to buy each year, I'm thinking his wish might not come true for 5 more years.