Sunday, February 22, 2009

The OCD Food Stasher

My mental process when it comes to food storage:

Oooo, the prophet says to get food storage. Look at how much money we could save by using it! Fantastic!

Ooooo, this involves menu planning. Let's plan it out by month so we can arrange for the family to have their FDA recommended amounts of tuna (not too often, but at least twice a month). Then we have to plan on having the right kind of TVP for each planned meal item. We can't have menu items repeat more than once every other month, store enough fruits and vegetables for each person, plan desserts, oh and if we need this during Christmas we have to plan that menu as well.

Wait, wait, this is getting silly. I'll just write down what we really eat for a month and that'll give me a great spring board for what I want to store.

I can't believe we eat hotdogs this often. Where are the vegetables?? Gosh, we havn't eaten tuna in at least 6 months. Do some quick math... -faint- I can't believe we'd need THAT MUCH SUGAR to have a year's supply of food storage.

What am I thinking? If I store what we'd really eat everyone will know how much white flour, canned fruit, and white sugar we eat. And where will I find freeze-dried hotdogs?? Maybe I could just gets mondo cans of Beanie-Weenie.

I have to seriously overhaul our diet before I start storing things. And I hate canned vegetables. What would I do with 50 pounds of frozen corn if the power goes out? What if I want to have hamburgers in my food storage? What does a TVP hamburger taste like?

This is looking harder than I thought at first. There are ladies all over the internet who use this stuff all the time, for each meal of each day. They have shelves like these ones, use crazy recipes like these ones to use all that dried milk no one ever touches, and have tons of recipes that actually taste good and use up the food storage.

One problem: I already have hobbies. Like blogging, reading, lousy crafting, and raising kids. I hope they come up with a cookbook that helps this whole "modern food storage" craze make sense.

In the mean time... is Beenie-Weenie still being made??

No comments: