Monday, November 03, 2008

Voting

Princess came home today to hear us talking about voting tomorrow. Man has already voted via absentee ballot. She got excited about a project they are doing at her school where all of the kids get to vote for the guy they think should be president of the US.

I immediately got wary.

Me: So, is it anonymous? Are your teachers going to find out who you vote for?

Princess: I don't know.

Man: Do you know who you're allowed to vote for?

P: Nope. Who are they?

Me and Man: [exchanging glances]

Man: Well, the whole idea of voting is to educate yourself and vote for the person who you think would best serve our country.

(I thought he did a really great job of being totally neutral on the topic)

Me: Texas is historically Republican, isn't it? How do we know their teachers aren't going to be biased? Is she going to come home and tell me I'm wrong?

Man: -sigh- (I have that effect on him sometimes)

Princess: So, what are their names?

Me: There are two people the nation is focusing on. Their names are John McCain and Barack Obama.

Princess: I think I'll vote for the guy whose name is easier to say.

Me: Um, I think you should hear what each of them has to say before you choose.

Princess: Who are you voting for?

Me: Obama.

Princess: Why?

Me: I think he's better than the other guy.

Princess: Ok, I'll vote for him.

Tag: Do you know who I'm going to vote for? Obama.

Me: Come on, guys. You need to hear what they are about before you vote.

Man: Not that it'll matter anyway, with the electoral collage and all that.

Me: Oh, come on. I'm not going to waste women's suffrage on political pessimism.

-sigh-

So, go vote. Educate yourself, pray, and do this great country a service.



Princess: I've had perfect attendance at school so far!
Me: That's great! I'm glad you're going to school and liking it.
Princess: [pause] Jesus was perfect. Did he have perfect attendance at school?
Me: Well, um, he died kind of young. I think he missed out on a few things in life.
Princess: Oh, that's sad.
Me: Yeah.

No comments: