Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election

I woke up last night from a dream that Obama had won the election in a landslide. I shrugged it off, telling myself to wait until morning to go check the numbers again.

By 4am, I lost the fight with my curiosity and got up. Man was awake from illness and pain, so I told him I was going to get a drink of water. Of course I got one so I wasn't lying, then ran to the computer. There, before my tired, puffy eyes, was the realization of my dream.

I took a box of tissues to my violently sneezing husband and asked him if he wanted to know who the next president of our nation was. We talked for a couple of minutes, staring at the ceiling, our minds in a whirl of hope and wariness.

We both supported Obama. Despite the videos depicting him as a baby killer (he didn't vote for it because the wording of the bill would have suspended any abortions from taking place, putting many lives in danger and removing a woman's choice to abort), despite the accusations of being a Muslim (1- he isn't, and 2- what's so evil about Muslims? Christian extremists are just as bloody, just as deluded as their Muslim extremist counterparts), despite his middle name - Hussein (if my middle name was Ladin, would I be considered a bad person? or is who I am what I make of myself with God's guidance?) we liked what he said, liked his track record, and he was clearly better than McCain in thought and delivery. They are both highly moral people (or, that's how they both present themselves) but definitely have a different way of going about encouraging those morals.

I'm thrilled that he won. I'm also thrilled that he won by a landslide so we won't have any of this recounting nonsense. I'm thrilled that the man whom I consider to be the vastly superior choice for president has been elected such. I'm thrilled that Palin will never enter the White House as a resident there.

I'm also wary. I've been burned enough times by people and government to keep my hope in check until he does what he has promised to do. Further, even if he does come through, I'm waiting to see that the desired results come to fruition. I admire his acceptance speech and hope that everyone takes it to heart, as I have. Being American is about work, and trying again and again to make the best homes, families, cities, states, and country we can. I have mixed feelings about the Dems being in total control now, since that makes everything so one-sided, but I'm also glad that Obama won't have as much resistance when it comes to the changes he wants to implement right away.

I also admire McCain's concession speech. He trod a hard road the past several months and bowed out with grace and dignity. I wish him well.

Folks, no matter how you voted, thanks for voting. The American people have chosen my husband's next boss, the absolute last word in his chain of command. The fate of my husband and family rests precisely in God's hands but this man will have a huge impact on every aspect of our lives.

So.... here's hoping.

No comments: