Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

I think this is the first Thanksgiving that I've hosted for other people. It was nice to stay pretty relaxed with friends and not be too caught up in presentation.

We used the crockpot to keep the potatoes warm (thanks, Grandparents! It worked very nicely), and had as much done the day before as possible. As it was, I ended up in the kitchen for a good couple of hours and was very grateful for Man's sister's help. She made some awesome gravy and helped keep me grounded while all those plates were spinning. Tag spent most of the day playing with the neighbor's grandkids.

And yes, we had way too much turkey. We ended up with leftovers after carving up the little turkey, and the large turkey was untouched. Holy guacamole, but I think I'll be posting a few ways to use turkey. M told me about one that she likes:

Layer (crushed tortilla chips), (chopped turkey, salsa, cream of mushroom soup), and (cheese) twice, then bake until bubbley. And we definitely sent her home with enough leftovers to make that dish. I think we'll have to try it with some low fat soup, or just sub in some of that fat free cream cheese. Don't cringe -- it actually hides pretty well in casseroles.

The only major mishap we had was when some sweet child turned the roaster on high heat for a while. That turkey turned out a tad overdone but, since it was brined, was still juicy and tastey.

And now, on to Christmas.

I have most of my shopping all done, but nothing is wrapped and I have a couple of mystery people to shop for. You know, the people who appear to have everything. -sigh-

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

It was our first year hosting too. After over 12 years of being married, I guess it was definitely overdue. I have new appreciation for all those who have hosted us in the past. What a big job! So what did you think of the brine solutions you used for your turkeys? I tried a recipe for a brine that didn't work so well.