Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The reward for honesty

We were at the Commissary today. Tag happened to find a small pile of folded bills on the ground. He picked them up, told me about them, and we took a look. There were three bills totalling $7. I said "well, we'll have to find customer service and turn them in." He said "wait, can I just give it to the guy who dropped them? He's right down there." I smiled, gave my approval and quietly followed him to watch his progress down the aisle. It was just crowded enough that I couldn't see the exact person to whom he ran, but I watch Tag's ecstatic face as he raced back to me, waving the dollar the kind man had given him as a reward for his honesty. Oooo, he made some big plans for that dollar. He wanted to save it to buy a motorcycle, or save it just so he could have a million more just like it. It ended up getting exchanged for a churro at Costco though. Honesty is so sweet.

1 comment:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

I have a dollar I'm saving so that one day I'll have a million more just like it. We're not making much progress, but I'll never let the dream die!
What a great little story. :D