Sunday, January 10, 2010

What I want to be when I grow up

For a few years now, I've wanted to be a nurse. It seemed so clear and so doable.

Now, I'm registering for classes and I find that, due to a few circumstances beyond my control, I can't take the traditional set of classes needed for becoming a nurse within two years of beginning classes.

I'm ok with that. I'm ok with taking a bit more time, thinking things through, and making sure that we're going to be in the same location for the final push toward a degree (a year of intense study, labs, and internships).

However, Man is officially being med-boarded (which doesn't guarantee separation from the military, but it's a possibility.), I got placed in dummy math (didn't we all see that one coming?) which means the classes I need to take (Bio, for one) are outside my range of eligibility for two semesters. I also suddenly realize that, if I were to take these classes in the time frame suggested by the school, Freida wouldn't even be in preschool before said big push. The admissions counselor with whom I spoke said that last year of school is like a full time job. I can't do that to my family so soon.

So, I have some time to kill. I find myself taking three classes which almost every single major requires (math, English, and psych), and I'm 2 credit hours short of a full load. (Which is like two cards shy of a full deck. Get it?)

Man finds himself taking a semester of college with no work hours, so this is my chance to actually take a full load on campus. Online and evening classes will have to come later on, once he goes back to work.

In the mean time, what do I take to fill those two credit hours? The sky's the limit, and this sudden realization has me twiddling my thumbs, wondering if nursing is what I want, specifically and for real.

I could work on a degree in nutrition, or medical assisting, or even massage therapy. I could just remain undeclared and work toward an AA, or an associates degree of general studies. It sounds like such a copout though, and I don't want to be one of those students who doesn't make up his mind until he has about 300 credit hours (like my husband).

Which brings me to one point I've been a little embarrassed to admit to myself -- I owe him an apology for the lectures I've delivered on how indecisiveness is the last thing someone with a family can afford to entertain. I have yet to register for want of one little class in the arts and humanities department.

Being at my leisure to take what I want, when I can, is an odd thing. It's like having a house and stuff inside of it and having the freedom to organize and arrange as I see fit. It's a power that's a little startling but wondrous at the same time. My husband is the provider and he's doing a good job of it, and there's no pressure on me to complete anything to contribute to the household. What a shocking feeling.

Anyway, I think I've finally decided on Intro to Human Services to fill things in. Just because I can and it looks interesting.

5 comments:

Thrake said...

There is a book, supprise, that may help.Based on MBTI types. It's Jungian but still valid. How 'bout a creative writing class.

Andrea Hardee said...

My results: (for IN(f/t)J) (I'm either a thinker or a feeler, depending on the day)

Social Work
Education
Librarian
Law
Early Childhood Education
Psychology/Psychotherapist
Counseling
Design
Science

I've thought about social work, but I get very involved on an emotional level and I don't know that I could stay objective or not angry for very long.

And I think becoming a psychotherapist would be fantastically ironic. :D

Anonymous said...

Yay! One step closer! Little steps grasshopper. Little steps!

wet watermelon said...

No, my husband becoming a debt counselor would be fantastically ironic. (lol) I'm just glad you're finally able to do this and that you're not procrastinating. Go Annie!

Anne Marie said...

Yay for you taking classes and getting things started! A librarian sounds positively wonderful (looking at your list in your comment). I really could see you as a nurse. Good luck with everything!