Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gosh, I'm easy

There are so many websites that are calling for the donation of anything and everything that could be useful for the rescue efforts in Haiti right now. Even Hulu has ads for the relief effort. It can be difficult to know to whom to give during this time of frenzied need (as well as when things are a bit more calm, when need is still great) so I've been looking around a bit to see where my means might be best used.

Then I went to Costco for a few basics. The cashier asked if I'd like to make a donation to the Red Cross along with my purchase. YES!!! Wow, that was easy.

I sort of wondered when I'd get around to donating otherwise, with my hectic and selfish life running to and fro in a haze of information and sensory overload. Which organization was perfect enough to deserve my dollars? But, more importantly, which organization was going to make it super easy for me to throw money at them?

My church has a website that makes giving easy and steady. This link right here shows the precise location of where one might give, knowing that every penny of every dollar goes to help for those who need it.

I admit, with shame, that the aid I have sent was neither great nor swift. My lack of planning has meant that this month is a little tighter than usual (partially thanks to the purchase of text books, partially due to a birthday) which has had a negative impact on what good I could do with my pocketbook.*

Onward into the future, where I will still make odd and perhaps unfortunate financial decisions, but hopefully with greater awareness of how my blessings might bless others.



(*of course I realize that both of these purchases are for good things. don't hassle me. :) )

No comments: