Thursday, January 21, 2010

Car troubles

My car wrecked. I'm not quite sure how I'm dealing with it yet, but I think things are going well.

Man is off getting the rental car and clearing out the old van, which is most assuredly totaled.

I was coming home from the first day of school when someone ran a red light and slammed into the front side panel on the driver's side, and caved in the sliding door on that same side. I was alone in the van, thank goodness for that, and literally walked away from it with nothing more than a bump on the head and some minor sprains and seat belt bruising.

The EMT and paramedic with whom I rode to the hospital were really great. They were calm and of good humor, politely chuckled at my attempts at levity and answered my questions about all the neat equipment around me.

The fact that I had to wait a while to get checked out was a very good sign that I was alright. Despite deep nausea and some unsteadiness, I was not concussed.

Sleep last night was troubled by memories of impact and the shock of how I felt immediately afterward. But the most irritating thing I've had to deal with today is the fact that I have a quiz due in psychology class tomorrow and all of my books are in that van at the impound lot.

Man will be going out tonight with a friend who used to be a car dealer. We have our eye on a Honda Odyssey that looks quite lovely, though of course it's used.

Today I'm just trying to distract myself from the long phone call where I got to make a recorded statement of my account of things. Mostly I want to nap, which I really can't do until Man returns.

Oh, and I want to clean my house. You know, because I can't do it very much right now. :D

My classes went very well. The teachers/profs/dr's all seemed nice. My English teacher is a real treat, like the love child of an old general and a tin foil hat bunker junkie. He's good at facilitating class discussion and doesn't live and die by MLA format. My psych teacher has extensive experience in many areas of family counseling and social work, both clinical and research. My math teacher is one of those tired old men with a cute sense of humor and an amusing derision toward young people and their newfangled gadgets. He claims he has a healthy respect for technology, but I believe that respect begins and ends with graphing calculators.

Folks, I'm off to rest my back. I spent the first part of the morning being visited by friends and on the phone with the insurance company, and the second half of the day trying to maintain the home. Some muscles aren't ready for that yet, so I'm going to snuggle up with my rescued psych textbook so I can pass a quiz tonight.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

You know how to start school off with a bang, don't you?!!

Andrea Hardee said...

LOL So it would seem. :)

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to get out of school? Usually you just tell the prof. that your dog ate your homework! Please be careful!

Andrea Hardee said...

Not at all, Cupcake. The other lady is the one who ran the light! My classes are actually going quite well.

Anonymous said...

I was just teasing. I'm really proud of you for going! I know how you feel about going to school on the first day! I feel like that every time I go to work (still!) Just remember how awesome you are & you'll be fine!