Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Water balloons

Funny how life is a series of experiences, but some sure take a lot of work.

The water balloon fight I promised the kids finally came about today. I made the mistake of buying water balloons from the PX (buying anything from the PX turns out to be a disappointment 98% of the time) so two hours of balloon filling resulted in a scant half of the 300 balloons I purchased actually ending up in buckets. Pebbles watched me fill them, squealing in delight each time one burst after being filled with a mere couple ounces of water, and often inviting me to splash her feet. The kids came home from school in haste, anticipating my promise of water balloons as soon as the whole family was home. Tag completely forgot about his backpack when he stopped on the front porch to watch with trembling hands as each balloon was selected and met its fate as either trash or treasure.

I think the balloon fight lasted fewer than 5 minutes. The older kids and I really got into it though, figuring out how to make the balloons glance off of us and fall to the grass. All in all, a sweet experience.

And next time we'll be getting those water bomb things. Little sponges and buckets of water placed strategically around the yard sounds far more pleasant and will certainly last a bit longer during the main event.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Water balloons! Oh, I have too much experience inflating those darn things. You were an angel to put in all that time filling the ones you did. I agree...water balloon fights are over much too quickly.