Friday, September 11, 2009

What to write about

Pebbles says Hi! while trying to hide some fluff in her hand. The fluff is from our bagless vacuum. She was twisting it into yarn, like mommy.


Wow, things havn't gotten less busy since the kids went to school. I'm now going to the gym at least 4 days out of the week (the goal is 5, but you know life), and generally being more involved with local activities, like dinners and church activities.

Today was my first day of working with Jo, my friend who is, in every way, an athlete. This woman plays soccer, runs 10k races, and has tons of experience with trainers and B12 shots and all kinds of hard core stuff that I've only ever heard about. She set up several stations around our gym and for 30 mins we puffed, grunted, and heaved air through clenched teeth while listening to Coldplay and The History Channel. After that I did 30 mins of lighter cardio while the other ladies continued their various methods of sucking oxygen into their straining bodies. But Jo was cool as a cuke. She not only did planks, she did funky one-armed planks. She not only did lunges, she did lunges with weights and turns and maybe even a few disco moves while I wasn't looking.


Pebbles tries to keep a straight face. She's actually pretty good at it
when she's trying very hard.


This Sunday our little family has been invited to join a larger choir made of families to perform for Stake Conference. We'd be privileged to sit in the front row and stand and sing at the beginning and end. I had issues with this arrangement at first, knowing what I know about my wiggly kids and a standard one hour meeting. Two hours is going to be brutal. What sort of big guns should I bring out for this event? They didn't really want to practice the songs (I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus and It Shouldn't Be Hard to Sit Very Still <-- I'm still giggling over the irony of that one) until I told them that to celebrate all of our hard work at practicing and a job well done in church, we're going to have a water balloon party for family home evening. That perked their interest with haste. I didn't call it a bribe to their faces, but isn't that what it comes down to? Let's call it a reward. :)
Pebbles -- losing the stoney face a bit. With prompting. ;)

Remember my sexy shelves? Now there is one that is indeed MY sexy shelf.

It doesn't look as sexy in this pic as it does it real life. Flash isn't flattering on anyone. Also, notice how I didn't really read the directions that told me to put the bar with the Shelf Reliance logo in the top-front position. Oh well! My shelf, my mistake, but no problem at all.

I havn't filled it yet but soon, yes soon. There was a case lot sale on post recently wherein I secured two cases of mushroom pieces for 34 cents a can, which is just a little over half the normal price. A few other great deals landed us a substantial increase in our planned food storage. I'm not sure that we're at a place in life where we can really pull together a year's worth of food (huge potential for moving still -- I've told Man that he needs to get promoted at least twice before the next time we move so our weight limit increases, or the first things to go will start with G and end with AMES) but I think a 3 month supply is exceedingly doable.

A few things on the top shelf. Man was digging the corned beef hash at the case lot sale. So he got that, and I got a case of PopTarts.

And example of how versatile they are. Canned chicken on one end, lemonade on the other. #10 cans are on the bottom.

Pebbles was really into the photo shoot.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

So, are the shelves worth it? They've been on my drool list for forever.... I love looking at your pics with real life items!!

Andrea Hardee said...

I think so. Looking at the amount of floor space they take up and some of the empty air leftover, I can't help but think that there are several cubic inches that could be used a wee more efficiently, but thinking of those same cases of food on flat shelves, I realize the level of accessibility, visibility, and insurance against food waste is FABULOUS. A friend also pointed out that it's easy to top all of the rollers off and just count the loading points to build a shopping list. I want to get the other Harvest model that holds just #10 cans as we build flour, beans, and sugar. Also, I came across a 20% discount for Honeyville, so time for another case of banana chips and a sack of millet.

I know that, in order to store a full year on these shelves, you'd have to have get at least a dozen of these things for a family the size we have. Then, by the time you'd actually work your way through all that food, you'd be giving these things to your newly wed children.

I think my ideal system would be a simple way to store boxes of food with expiration dates clearly marked on the outside, loading the shelves with a case at a time as needed. In this manner you'd be able to keep thinks in relative order. The shelves for boxes would only be one box deep, with boxes lined up perpendicular in the wall. I think the key to good rotating is maximum visibility.

mommykay said...

A reward is payment for good behavior. A bribe is payment for illegal behavior. Does that make sense?

Anne Marie said...

Those shelves look awesome!