Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Powdered milk

When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes try to get us to drink or otherwise consume powdered milk. It was hideous stuff. The only way she could use it without complaints from us was in baked goods. I don't think even half reconstituted milk and half fresh made it past us without fierce resistance. And who could blame us? Even adults who aren't used to it have been known to give it bad reviews.

Today I tried powdered milk again. We ran out of fresh so I thought I'd mix some up to go in my breakfast shake and took a bare sip of the plain milk before adding the breakfast powder.

Surprisingly, it tasted just like warm milk.

The brand I used is Sanalac from ConAgra.

Maybe this powdered milk thing isn't such a gross idea after all. We'll have to see how the powdered milk from the cannery goes over though, as it's far less expensive and that may be for a good reason.

3 comments:

The Lassen Family said...

last summer I had my family drinking powdered milk for over a week without noticing. The best thing to do is mix it up at night after everyone is asleep and then start with the half and half, by the end of my experiment, we were using it straight, although it does definitely taste better cold.
My friend uses 1/2 hot water to dissolve it better and then fills the rest with crushed ice and that way it is cold faster. It has definitely come a long way!!

The Lassen Family said...

AFter I told my husband he realized that that was why when he went to make choc. milk the milk seemed kind of warm to him!! LOL, why was he okay with drinking warm milk anyway?

Andrea Hardee said...

lol Men can be funny like that sometimes.