Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Magic Mommy Kisses

I have a sister 8 years younger than me. Mom was gone for a while when Echo was still quite young (family reunion or something) and sadness resulted. In an effort to help her feel better I told her that I knew I wasn't mom, but I needed to work on my Magic Mommy Kisses, you know, the Kisses that seem to make everything a little brighter, a little less painful. So I kissed her hand that had been hurt and asked if it worked. She hesitated, shook her head, so I tried repeatedly until my muscles were feeling weak in the kisser and she started to feel a bit better.

Just this morning Pebbles came to me with a hurt hand. "Mom, duh closet bit my hand!" She held forth her hand to be kissed but it seemed that my first attempt was poorly aimed. "No, mom, it's white deer!" So I made kisses while she guided the contours of her hand along my lips until my fully developed Magic Mommy Kisses worked to their greatest extent.

Part of me felt happy that such a simple thing could bring great comfort to my precious young one. Another part of me felt like a tool, something from which this little princess demanded immediate attention and results. The latter feeling came to the forefront when, mid-kiss, she yanked her hand away and trotted off to do battle with the closet door again.

-sigh- The Mommy Tool. It's a good thing that my kisses bring me at least a much comfort.

No comments: