Thursday, December 18, 2008

I have long wondered...

Do babies like being kissed? I love kissing my babies, including the ones that are more like teenagers nowadays, but I've always wondered if they even care or if they hate getting their faces wet from smooches, or if they just sort of humor the lady with the food. Maybe it's just part of all the new, weird sensations they experience when they're born and it's something they just live with their whole lives.

Today I was reading a few articles with Freida in my lap. She was sort of half-heartedly watching Happy Feet and I cradled her close. After a while she looked up at me and of course I took the opportunity to kiss her forehead. Immediately her eyes rolled up in her head. After a few seconds of kissing her forehead, her hands went limp and she started to snore.

It's amazing how one little moment can make up for weeks of sickness and misery. And there's my proof that, regardless of what her initial impressions of being kissed were, she likes it now.

I wonder if humans kissing babies is anything like other creatures in the animal kingdom licking their newborn young? I think the baby and I both agree though, that kissing little cheeks is preferable to the alternative.





Ew.

.

No comments: