Thursday, December 04, 2008

I got my carpet cleaned for free!

And all I had to do was say "no thank you" with a smile. I "won" a drawing, which meant I could choose to receive two candles (gingerbread) and two rooms of carpet cleaning absolutely free!

How does the saying go -- "I love hard work. I could watch it all day."

I've never seen someone vacuum so slowly in my life. He was very sure to show me how much gunk is in my carpets (it's a rental, what can I say) but the price tag was hideous. By a show of hands, who here would ever spend $2100 on a vacuum? I admit that this was something of a Swiss Army vacuum though, with at least a dozen attachments and knobs and levers that kept all the kids enthralled. Pebbles spent most of the time he was here asking "is it a good guy bacuum?" and running away with a squeak.

If he had come earlier in the day I might have pretended to be more interested. "Wow, look at what it does to the living room carpet! What would it do in one of the kids' rooms? Ooooo, I'd absolutely love to see how well it cleans my couch. Can I try it on my van? Really? Oh, you're too kind."

Unfortunately, he came late in the day, and it really didn't suck the water out of the carpet at all. He claimed that it would dry in 20 mins but we're going on an hour here and it's still wet. And I'm allergic to the fragrance in the shampoo. So, sorry Pedro, there is no way I going to 1) spend that amount of money on a vacuum that 2) is so confusing that it takes a whole 30 mins to set up whereupon it 3) turns my house into merely a different sort of allergen harboring environment.

But I have gingerbread candles (which are likely from the Dollar Store) and the carpet doesn't smell like pet any more. Not bad for free, right?

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'd take it for sure!

Our carpets look awful. And you didn't have to shell out two bucks at the dollar store, so it seems like a good deal to me!

Anonymous said...

What a deal! Entertainment for Pebbles, free candles and wow! The entertainment value alone of watching someone else do my work I would shell out $2 for!

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I giggled quite a bit while I was reading your post. At the same time, I felt a bit guilty. I’ve done this too. I let the salesman come in and demonstrate the vacuum on my carpet, but not buy anything from him. It is quite annoying to have them keep coming up to your door and sell you something you don’t need at the time though. Besides, I have my carpet cleaned by a professional cleaning company more often than not. So these days, I make sure to politely tell the salespeople “No” when they come knocking.

-- Bong Kingsley