Monday, December 29, 2008

Calm - 70%. Bright - 100% (that's the TX sky for you)

As we drove home from Christmas, we wistfully watched the snow and ice dwindle and disappear, but eventually became annoyed with it once the only ice we could find was flying off the tops of semis entering the highway. By the time our windshield washer fluid was thawed enough to be effective, it was gone entirely.

We arrived home just after the sun had set, dumped everything from the van into the house, and Man popped popcorn (thanks again, Grandfolks!) and got the kids settled in front of Kung Fu Panda to calm down before bed while I farmed things out to bedrooms where we will be further sorting today. I know for sure that the thrift store will be getting a truckload of joy today or tomorrow as the new takes place of the old.

It's amazing how coming home can be so revealing. My grandparents have a very refined and organized home. I found it to be exceedingly comfortable in that there was no visual stress to be found. Everything has a place and and a purpose. Coming back here, I was struck first of all by how bare my walls are. Second, I realized that tuning out this or that pile of homeless objects wasn't doing me any favors.

I have a whole week of Man and children to help tackle this mess, as well as Man's commitment to help for a portion of each day.

All in all, visiting my family was the best Christmas gift ever, a close second being that marvelous back rub my younger sister gave me. I miss them, and love them, and have loved coming to know them better as an adult. I'm especially pleased to finally be helpful with the crossword puzzles nowadays. I recall asking my dad if I could help with the cross word as a kid. He said "the clue is ____ Lake City." I couldn't figure out what it might be. As a Mormon, of course it's a bit daft to not know Salt Lake City when you hear the clue but time and reading have helped a bit.

I hope everyone had a safe and joyous Christmas. Thank you one and all for the love and friendship we encountered during our time with you this season.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

So great you got to be with family. Hope you have a great week with your husband home.