Friday, July 11, 2008

sleeeeeeeeep

Freida wakes up 5+ times a night. We have three bedrooms, each of which is occupied. She sleeps in our room, so I get her every time she cries so Man can get as much sleep as possible.

I'm tired.

So, I'm going to put her in the living room tonight and let her cry. We have fans we're going to set up in the back of the house so we don't hear her.

I feed her solids a few times a day, she's never poopy, and I give her pain meds before bedtime. She wakes to nurse for a couple of mins or to try to play with me which I never do but she keeps trying anyway.

What else can I do? I entertain all suggestions.

All three other kids had to cry at this age to sleep through the night. I feel bad each time.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Let's see, I can share what has worked with each of my kids, this is something we've struggled with with each.

*with my oldest in the infant stage, the issue was reflux and comfort nursing. He also just didn't sleep well. We bought one of those Fisher Price aquarium things and used that as a visual/sound cue for him to go back to sleep. We eventually cut him back to a 1 am and occasional 5 am waking, but he didn't sleep through the night until he was over a year old. He also didn't nap well. How an infant could get by on 5 hours a sleep a day, I don't know, but that was just how he was wired.

*with Princess the issue was mostly blood sugar. She *had* to have a good protein snack at bedtime or she woke up ravenously hungry. If I forgot, inevitably she would wake often through the night until she got some type of solid. She was a bit older than your baby though.

*sweet Bub just loved his Momma and wouldn't take a snuggly. We pulled the Fisher Price aquarium out (all 3 kids loved it) and let some minor crying occur. Dh attended him for a week or so and once he realized he wasn't going to get to snuggle with the momma, our through the night parties ended.

My other thoughts are:
*white noise machine for her (like a fan) in case she's just a light sleeper
*checking to make sure she's not napping too much during the day
*trying to cut out certain waking times but maybe leaving one feeding if she's going through a growth spurt
*trying something like Hylands Teething Tablets at bedtime if teething is an issue right now
*trying not to give her a pacifier--Princess was the only one who ever used one, and inevitably whenever it fell out, she would wake

Hope you're sleeping again soon!