Monday, July 07, 2008

Being a Park Mom

I took my kids and a little friend to the park the other day. We encountered a family who were all playing tag together, even the mom. It's always touching to see a dad at the park with the kids, but I find that though they aren't as common as mom units among such kinder play lots, they are more likely to actually participate with the kids beyond pushing a tyke on the swing with one hand, while reading a novel in the other hand.

I sat on the bench, caring for the baby and doling out my kids' picnic supplies, and got up a couple of times to take care of disagreements among my various cubs. After watching the dad explain the idea of tag-backs to one of his 5 kids, I thought about how often I bring my kids to play at the park, versus playing with my kids at the park.

Hmmmmmm... the numbers aren't looking good.

What park games do you know of? I need a good repertoire next time I try out my "cool mom who actually plays with her kids" thing. I know of tag, and hide and seek, and "can you guess what I just found under this bench and am now nibbling on before you squeal, snatch it from me, and throw it away?" What others can you think of?

1 comment:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

What about throwing sand at each other? That's one of my son's favorite games.