Thursday, December 14, 2006

Training little taste buds

It's never too early to cultivate good taste in kids.

Today I was scrounging around for lunch when I decided to use up some leftover mashed potatoes, add some cheese and an egg, and fry it in patties (the patty idea didn't work out, but it made a yummy fried cheese mess overall). Princess Butterfly took one look at the mix I was mashing and said:

"Ew! I don't like that stuff."

Now, having lived with these friends, I decided to try one of their tactics.

"Good, Princess. Now I can have all this yummy grown up food to myself. It's so good, that if you don't like it I'll go ahead and eat it all and you can have this peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

Well, she ate her sandwich and after my concoction was done being scraped out of the pan she wandered over to see how it turned out.

"So... mom, what is that?"
"Oh, it's too yummy. Potatoes and cheese."
"Are you going to share it with Pebbles?"
"Maybe. She might like it. What do you think?"
"I think she would. [pause] If she likes it, maybe I'll try a bite."
"Oh, really? Maybe you could take a teeny bite and let me know if she would like it, that way it won't go to waste if she spits it all over the place."
"Ok. Just a little bite."

Said bite was taken. Princess gets a very thoughtful look on her face.

"Maybe I could have another tiny bite. Because, maybe it's a little bit good."

In this manner I shared a plate with her and made another batch. Pebbles hasn't gotten any of it. ;)

No comments: