Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Not for the squeamish or faint of heart

This is a warning. If you are squeamish or do not enjoy tales of sick people, read no further on this post. I'm going to post a nice happy one about Christmas etc, but this particular one is about an illness I had and a funny story about one of the kids being ill.

First, just to make sure everyone gets the story from the horse's mouth yes, I did have an abscess. Man's family and my family know, at least from second hand knowledge that I was sick over the weekend. About a week and a half ago I got a bug bite that didn't fade. It got larger and painful until I finally went to see a dr. It was cellulitis and was still in a stage treatable by antibiotics. The nurse practitioner prescribed me an antibiotic that is commonly resisted nowadays, so I found myself on Saturday trying to get a hold of my dr so I could get my prescription changed before things got too nasty. She was out of the country so her nurse suggested that I simply go to the ER. Haha. Since the darn thing was starting to turn black in the middle I knew something had to be done soon. After a 2 hour wait I finally got in to be seen only to be told that I had an abscess that needed an incision and drain which meant the dr got to pretend that he was an overgrown teenager popping an overgrown zit using a small saber instead of a needle, and I got to play with nitrous oxide. It was the first time I've used that stuff before and it hit me like a ton of bricks and made my whole body tingle. He numbed me up and when I recovered my senses I had experienced my first "procedure." I am now old, ladies and gentlemen. I have had a difficult time releasing a lot of my emotions from the past year or so but being drugged brought all of it up to the surface and instead of laughing from the gas I ended up sobbing for the next day. It felt good to get a lot of it out. The dr said to come back if I got sick, but otherwise come back in a couple of days to get the (10-12" of) packing out. Of course I got pretty sick b/c they kept me on the antibiotics that didn't work in the first place and now the infection was in my blood from the incision, so we spent another 3 hours in the ER just to have them switch my meds to something that works. 4 hours after my first dose of the new stuff and I feel like a million bucks. Christmas day I got my packing out and now things "ought" to heal just fine from here on out. Whew! Yeah, that's gross stuff.

Anyway, Princess has been feeling a bit under the weather the last few days with some sort of eye gunk illness. Tonight, about an hour after the kids were all asleep (in the same room) I heard Tag start crying. I thought he just fell out of bed and would crawl back in with no problems. After a minute or so he cracked his door open to report that Princess (who sleeps on the top bunk) had thrown up on his bed (which is the bottom bunk). With some chagrin and a speck of disbelief Man and I went to assess the damage. We flipped the light on after the smell confirmed the presence of vomit only to see that Tag's pillow, comforter, sheet, the ladder, and a good part of Princess's bed were all covered. Even better, they have a wood floor in there which made a fantastic splash surface. Man and I looked at each other and just cracked up with laughter. Man said "you know, of all the terrible ways to be woken up..." and we kept laughing. Pebbles woke up and got hysterical almost right away, Tag cheerfully boomed out his opinion on the situation, Man and I kept laughing, and the little vomitor slept through it all until we pulled her out of bed and put her in a warm shower. I'm glad we were given the gift of seeing the humor of the situation while in the midst of cleaning it up. We spent the day today cleaning up after a long weekend of ER visits for me and the Christmas mess.

I think tomorrow we'll clean some more, fold all this laundry that we're washing tonight, and just watch Pinky and The Brain and eat chicken nuggets, laughing our weaselly black guts out.

Tag and Princess now have their heads at opposite ends of the bunk. What's the worst way you can imagine waking up?

No comments: