Tuesday, July 19, 2011

LOTR -- again

A new installment in the LOTR saga, The Quest To Sort This Tripe Out.

When we last left our heroes, I was begging for a refund for a mis-sent box of LOTR so I could order one for the right address. The idea was that the people at the old address would refuse the order, it would get sent back and reshelved, and all would be right in the world.

I got my refund and then used that money to order a new LOTR. As far as I knew, all was as it should be.

Then my original order came in the mail today. I was surprised, to say the least. It managed to get itself forwarded at no cost to myself (a surprise since a different package that has toiled the same dark path was forwarded to me to the tune of $10).

So, I wrote to Amazon again, asking if I might mail them the wayward LOTR so I wouldn't be cheating them out of $XX.XX, especially since they had been so kind to me through customer care in the past (and, well, I try to be honest in all my dealings).

Then I got this email this afternoon:

Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I've requested a refund of $XX.XX for the full amount of this shipment, including shipping, if any. You'll see the refund to your MasterCard in the next 2-3 business days.

You can check on your refund by viewing the order in Your Account here:  (linky in the email)

From your e-mail message, I understand that you've received the Lotrbree [which was my frenetic abbreviation, which the poor, non-English speaking CSR didn't bother to correctly capitalize] package that we already issued a refund. However, no need to concern as a goodwill gesture, there is no need to return the item you received.

Thanks again for your feedback.


AAAACK!!!!  So, they've successfully issued a refund for the second purchase, meaning I now have two copies of Lord of the Rings Blu-ray Extended Edition (LOTRBrEE, pronounced Loe-tar-bree) and I've functionally gotten them both for free.  I think. They wrote to let me know that the refund was successfully processed, but nothing has cleared my bank account yet.

What do you think??? Should I chase this even more to make it all right, or just enjoy some Amazon good will? I'm so confused.

1 comment:

Mediocre Renaissance Man said...

Well dang. I would probably try to return one of them, but in the end I would end up deciding the return process is too complicated, so I'd try to find a friend to give the second copy to.

But that's just me because I often find simple yet unfamiliar processes to be unreasonably complicated. I've heard that Amazon makes returns very easy, yet since I've never done one the thought of doing it terrifies me. I'm a wreck.

Either way, my conscience says return one copy, especially if both were free. My brain says returns are too much of a hassle (and I think Amazon would be charged for the return shipping anyhow) and I can share my goodwill by passing along a free copy to someone else.

Logical simplicity or harmony of conscience?