Thursday, July 07, 2011

South Beach, Month 1

Well, still only down 13 pounds. It seems that as soon as I added any carbs at all that my weight loss completely stalled. After the first two weeks, you're supposed to add in one serving of carbs (of course as unrefined as possible, and you may be astonished at how small real servings are) which I did. Now, I will admit that I had a piece of Dave's birthday cake, but other than that I've been pretty good. The rice I've been eating is a brown/wild blend mixed with half quinoa, and I only eat it once or twice a week. Other than that, I've had meatballs made with 9 grain breadcrumbs (a mere fraction of the meatball, and yet it must be considered) and some barbecue sauce here and there (which I know has sugar, but in most cases it was the only carb I ate all day), but it's still pretty disappointing to so completely plateau despite the fact that pasta, ice cream, and white rice and I havn't been on speaking terms for a month.

My next step is to exercise more while still allowing myself one serving of carbs a day. The only problem is that I'm limited to things in the home while the kids are still home for the summer, or to go biking before Man goes to work. My track record of waking up when I don't really have to is kind of dismal. (sigh)

On the other hand, every single unit in my online class discusses a single organ system, and each organ system has discussed the impact diabetes has on it in bold detail. My most recent unit was on the sensory aspects of organ systems, and diabetic retinopathy was particularly poignant. So, if that doesn't get me biking I don't know what will.

But off I go to the cannery to pick up a home canning unit. I'm stashing things that the cannery doesn't offer, like basmati rice, quinoa, anasazi beans, sugar that's actually much cheaper by the pound, and egg noodles. My 90 food supply menus need a massive overhaul due to my new (and most despised) dietary concerns, so I can't put too much away until that gets done.

Overall, I'm most frustrated with this body and its strong tendency toward diabetic traits. I'm angry that I can work so hard for such slight results. I'm tempted to go to my doctor and demand metformin to at least get me to a normal weight range, which is still 50 heavy pounds away. I'm tempted to once again use Alli but the speed at which I regained all of the weight lost in that manner was a very bitter experience.

So, this week, biking and maybe a nod to Jillian Michaels and her 30 Day Shred.

No comments: