Tuesday, May 11, 2010

relaxation

My psych prof had us go through some relaxation exercises in class a couple of weeks ago. Tonight I went through them with Princess. After the breathing and muscle exercises, she sort of sighed and turned on her side. We cuddled for a while, she shared a few thoughts while I ran my fingers through her hair, and then I left her to sleep.

Tag asked if I could do the same relaxation stuff with him. No problem.

So he laid down, without his glasses but with a bemused half grin on his face. I started him on the breathing which he did with some impatience, until he finally said "mom, when are we going to be done so we can cuddle?"

Heh. I can take a hint sometimes. He soaked up the cuddling, holding still for the first time in weeks. I watched his face in profile as he shared some thoughts, as well, speaking of the substitute in his class who yelled a lot, and the boy on the playground who called him a baby. I marveled at how he looked so young if he turned his face just a little away from me, and so mature when he turned toward me.

Both of these sweet children cuddled as if drinking in a cool oasis after a long journey. It made me miss them a little, or their pure innocence. I wished to protect them from the daily grind and frustrations and feelings of loneliness and impotence. Pebbles has also been seeking refuge in extensive cuddling and story time. Freida seems to be the only one among them who is unaffected by the storm of life around her. They all laugh and roughhouse, whine about a dinner they don't like and relish a good game of kung fu tickles.

This, too, shall pass.

No comments: