Sunday, September 14, 2008

A couple of easy recipes

Since moving here I've tried to keep the cooking as cool as possible. Here are a couple of things that are still hot but don't heat up the house too much. They are also stinking easy which is what I'm all about right now.

That's Cheating! Calzones.

This is actually an idea I took from Rachel Ray, but couldn't remember all the specifics. I thought it was brilliant.

8 ounces ricotta
1 egg
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp gounnd pepper
1/2 pound ground sausage
8 ounces mozzarella cheese
20 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce (I use prego, and never the whole jar)
6 largish, crusty buns

Mix the ricotta, egg, and spices together. Set aside. Cook up the sausage. Set aside. Cut the tops off the buns (don't cut in half, just slice off the top bit), run a knife around the inside of the bun to define the borders of the bowl you're about the make, and rip its guts out. Put a spoonful of the cheese mix in, pressing down to fill all corners. Add a spoonful of sausage, pressing it in. Top with the mozz cheese and the bread "lid". Wrap in foil and bake at 250° for about 20 mins or until they are nice and hot. Heat the spaghetti sauce in the sauce pan and add in any leftover sausage. Slice the buns in half and dip in the sauce. We ate this with some asparagus stir fry.



Chicken Alfreida

1 jar of premade alfredo
6 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (if you use breast, make it 4 pieces instead)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 pound angel hair

Sprinkle the chicken with the spices. Brown on both sides over med heat and then lid until cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to rest. Add the alfredo into the skillet and scrape up the yummy bits. Let that heat over low while you give the chicken a rough chop, then add the chicken and any juices from the plate to the sauce. (in the mean time, make your pasta. Don't forget to salt and olive oil the water) Stir it up and let it heat through. If you want you can wrap a loaf of french bread in foil and let it heat in the oven while you're doing all this. Steamed squash goes well with this or a bowl of sliced fresh fruit. I'm going to try this with half shrimp one of these days.


Also, something I'm using this week when has taken a load off my mind is http://www.menus4moms.com/ . We currently have her ratatouille in the slow cooker in the garage.

1 comment:

Mamabug said...

Thanks for the recipe ideas. I am using the Moms4Menus too but I don't use all her recipes - just the ones that sound good and then I fill the other days in the calendar with my old standbys. I am glad that you are settling into your new area. Where ever that is. Air conditioning is a good thing (of course I haven't had to worry about AC for a few years now - never gets hot enough). And I didn't know that your Man joined the military - very cool.