Monday, January 09, 2012

Ring out the old, ring in the new

Happy New Year! A week late. I hope it was safe and that you are now well rested.

I'm at a huge crossroads in my life right now and it seems to be appropriate that it would happen right around the new year.

I've recently completed an online certificate course in medical coding. I now have the opportunity to work, or to do more schooling of the brick and mortar variety, continue and expand on my volunteer work, or focus almost exclusively on my family, home, and church.

There are many complicating factors for every choice I make, whether it's funds or finding quality child care for my youngest. Swapping hours with a husband who's rocketing toward grad school and working a part time job is no mean feat. His options regarding working hours are limited and his homework has to get done at some point.

Anyway, there are other things I'd like to do besides those of a professional nature.

1. I teach once a month for the women's group at church.
2. Assistant scout leader for Webelos.
3. I want to read the Bible from beginning to end, instead of just studying one book at a time.
4. Continue (albeit slowly) in the Young Women's Personal Progress program. My current project for that is making preemie packets that include wee hats, blankets, and a small stuffed animal.
5. Organize my home. It isn't a dismal hole or anything but it certainly has more chaos lurking in closets than I can appreciate. How can I streamline this place so that my kids don't find chores quite so overwhelming? Sure, they need to learn to muscle past difficult circumstances but they're kids, not contractors! And who really needs all this stuff?
6. Learn how to have less waste in every area of my life. Included in this is learning how to plan meals that are welcomed as leftovers or sides later in the week, how to keep the self agreeably occupied when "bored" (haha) or, to put it better, how to recharge my batteries in a more constructive way.
7. Continue my education. Whether or not I work or attend accredited school, I've decided to go through the CERT courses.
8. Continue to take care of myself by eating well and working toward my first 10k run.

Add to this the daily joy and necessity of loving on my husband and kids, putting out dozens of life's fires, maintaining treasured friendships, and making scriptures and prayer a priority in my life. Perhaps I'll work on the various short stories floating around my head. I still want to home can food for its wonderful frugality and flavor. Maybe this whole post would sound a lot less ambitious if I had waited to write it after the Prozac kicked in (anti-anxiety meds for the win!).

So! Since I'm a woman and getting my thoughts out in words, whether spoken or typed, helps me work through problem solving scenarios, I've decided to update the blog more often than I update my Facebook status. Also, it's time to get the dust off the camera and start posting my progress mostly for my own benefit. It's back to journaling online.

Ready to see my sewing projects and kids and cooking again??? Thanks for bearing with me. And, my wonderful Crusty Cupcake, thank you so much for faithfully commenting on my sporadic blog posts! Squishy hugs for you, fine woman!

1 comment:

CrustyCupcake said...

Squishy Hugs!! You're awesome no matter what you set yourself up to do! Just don't be so hard on yourself if that one closet doesn't get its act together any time soon!