Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rice Cooker Lunch: chicken, brown rice, and spices

1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 1/4 cup brown rice
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
4 chicken thighs
2 1/2 cups water (if you're at my altitude, add an extra cup of water)

Throw rice, spices, and water into the rice cooker. Top with chicken thighs. I also added about three shredded radishes that were starting to wilt. It's part of my "don't waste food!" campaign. I couldn't taste the radish at all but some sort of inner voice from my childhood whispered that it was at least adding nutrition and, more important right now, it's using up food that might otherwise get tossed.

Verdict: Chicken was nothing special. The rice was tasty. I served with sliced cucumber and tomato, splashing my veggies with a a bit of balsamic and ground pepper. Hot rice and cold tomatoes in the same bite were absolutely delish.

Also, why 1 1/4 cups of rice? Because that's what I had left in the bag.  :D



Simple, filling, and nourishing. The side of veggies is very important with this meal. Steamed broccoli or a Normandy blend would work well, as would a shredded radish and sprout salad. I removed the skin since this was basically boiled.

1 comment:

RochelleHaddad said...

I like all of these recipes that you have been sharing. I wonder what happened to the other blog. You know, the one about food?