Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mother's Day

To this day and forever, the greatest moment I can recall in my relationship with my mother is when I called her, on this holiday ten years ago, to let her know that I was carrying an illegitimate child. Her response is something I cherish:

I will always love you.

Mom, you're the best.

Man invited me to select a new set of silverware as a gift for mother's day. It has been some years since we bought our current set and the teaspoons and salad forks have undergone a mysterious attrition. I happily ordered a set which I had studied in minute detail over the past several weeks. And a whisk.

Today we visited the home of one of Man's sisters, where we enjoyed delicious grilled salmon and shortcake topped with fresh whipped cream and macerated strawberry/mango/rhubarb. Afterward, my sister in law, niece and I happily polished, sorted, and admired sea glass from Cuba while all of our wee children played outside on a warm, slightly breezy evening.

Of course mothers were extensively praised and thanked in every church meeting we attended today, and we were showered with chocolate and angel food cake topped with strawberries and cream.

All in all, I feel celebrated.

I met the visiting teacher (church thing, where women visit each other to foster friendship and make sure everyone is getting the love and help they need) of the lady who owns the home which we are renting. She fervently extolled the virtues of the dear sister who occupied this house before me, praising the tidiness with which she kept her home. Dude. No pressure.


But hey, I'm celebrated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO YOU!!
I celebrate every day I know you are my friend! My life has been made so much richer just knowing you & yours! Thanks for being you!