Friday, February 15, 2008

Mr. Pootiehead

Tag LOVES improv. Especially the singing bit.

So last night I was helping him brush his teeth when he requested a song. Now, we already have a whole wardrobe of songs to work with: ABC's, Snowman (complete with funny giggle at the end of the song), Wheels on the Bus, and my own version of Wheels on the bus but with toothbrushing lyrics.

But Tag decided that I should sing a song about Mr. Pootiehead. I've never heard of this character before but he sounded interesting.

You have to understand, improve is something I dearly love the watch (Whose Line Is It Anyway) but I'm really horrible at it.

But here's roughly what came out in a sort of adventure/ballad melody.

Mr. Pootiehead
What a weird name for a guy
Mr Pootiehead is an accountant
With a house
And a car
And some walls
But Mr Pootiehead dreams... oh he dreeeeeeeeams!
Of being a knight!
Who slays dragons!
And he rides on a horse!
(at this point I got interrupted by a laughing Tag)
But in real life he rides his bike
Because he has to sit all day in his office
And draw pictures of knights
Slaying dragons
And he puts them in his house
On his waaaaaaaalls!

You know, the funny thing is, Princess asked me to sing the same song for her... and she and Tag remembered it better than I did. I had to explain to her how I happened to "know the Pootiehead song". They just laughed and laughed, and then spent the rest of the time getting ready for bed singing their own versions of Mr Pootiehead.

Ah, I love having little kids. I'm sure they'll outgrow it for a little bit in middleschool, but I hope they're part of the Monty Python, ultimate frisbee, debate, choir, theater crowd -- busy people having the time of their lives by living as best they can right where they are.

But if they happen to be accountants... maybe they'll at least have a house, with some walls... and dreeeeeeeeeam!

No comments: