Thursday, April 21, 2011

House hunting

Where to begin.

The housing inspection went pretty well, except they charged us $500 for one room's worth of carpet replacement. Any guesses on which room? The carpeted dining area, the only area in the house designed as an eating space. Idiots.

The drive out to the Midwest was a lot more sane this time around, with a hotel to break up the long drive from MD to IL. We had a great visit with one of Man's sisters and her son.

My most difficult goodbye yet came in Kansas. It took a lot of effort to not bawl over, once again, driving away from a family I love so much.

I'm so grateful that the trip was boring. The most eventful event was finding a shocked and lost mother in the restroom of a restaurant, faced with her two month old baby's first ever diaper blowout. I offered help as she numbly stared at what her son had wrought in his shorts, showing her how to roll the back of his clothes to get them off without getting his whole body dirty. Hehe. Poor lady has no idea that it only gets worse in the diaper department until that glorious day when he becomes potty trained.

Anyway, our first day of house hunting was rather promising. We had a bunch of leads and liked two homes for sure. We'll head out again tomorrow morning to do more house tours before putting in applications.

We stopped by Ft Carson to get a bead on what resources are available here for wounded warriors and the spread is extensive. Man even got a tip for a bunch of job openings that somehow involve computers, and it's a GS11 position. We're hoping and praying that something works out soon.

As it is, I'm shocked that I'm not panicking. No job, no home, and greatly reduced paychecks after July. Ack! Maybe I'm in shock. Maybe the last 10 years have traumatized me so much that my capacity to feel in these situations has been diminished. Whatevs.

More house hunting tomorrow and then we bend all efforts to the job search. Pray for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

~Hugs~ Hugs~ Hugs~ & maybe some kisses too!!

KarenT said...

Hugs from me, too. I did not try to stop the tears, but they came later, in private and when they would not affect my driving. :)

I agree that boring is good when it comes to driving across the country.

Maybe it is not shock or callousness you are feeling so much as experience and faith. Even though you have no home, no job, and less money, you have wits, resources, confidence and hope. Maybe you know many people are praying for dear you and your dear family. A lot of people hold you in their hearts, beloved.