Saturday, August 21, 2010

Changing the way I eat

I can't call it dieting anymore. Because it needs to be a lifestyle.

I was typing out a post for my sister on Facebook but thought it bore sharing here:

[following a brief discussion of what I could eat after going in for fasting bloodwork]

Carbilicious things: potatoes, corn in any form (whole, creamed, cornmeal, cornbread), peas (canned, frozen, or split), lima beans, wheat in any form (noodles, bread, dumplings), milk, yogurt, fruit of any kind except tomatoes, beets, rice of any kind (both white and brown), any kind of sugar in any form, and cheese.

I can have these things, just 45 carbs at each meal, which is actually not bad at all. I need a min of 15 carbs per meal just to stay the sweet tempered person you know and love.

The following are things I can have without counting carbs: beans (pinto, black, garbanzo, navy), vegetables, limited amounts of winter squash, lean meats, limited amounts of nuts, tomatoes.

So, if you look on my recipe blog, you'll see some of the dinners I eat. It isn't too bad. I just have to measure out the rice -- no more than 1 cup per meal, but with a big pile of yummy veggies on top it isn't so bad. Taking a big drink of water after each meal is also helpful, as is sugar free gum.

I've lost another 4 pounds since the 17 at the nutritionist's office. My pants are getting loose. You should see what 20 pounds of fake fat look like! I was shocked at how big it is. The first few weeks were hard, but keeping things like sugar free jello (which is completely free!!!!) and sugar free gum on hand at all times, and planning out my meals make all the difference for my success. I went clothes shopping and even though I'm not going down in sizes much yet, I definitely look better. I can actually see my biceps now and I'm getting a hint of a collarbone back.

E-mealz has been a Godsend, literally. I keep cans of soup on hand for lunches for days when I don't have leftovers to fall back on, though I need to get back into making my own (cheaper, healthier, just the way I want it). We actually get 7 nights of homecooked dinners again, and it's all from scratch. Breakfast is easy with eggs and veggies, and salad with plenty of addins (including beans and eggs!) is a no brainer.

Looking back, I think insulin resistant behavior is something I've had for as long as I can remember. Or maybe I'm confusing that behavior with normal kid cravings for junk food. Who knows? I asked Ms Reed (my wonderful dietitian) whether I would always crave carbs as much as I do, given my genetic predisposition and poor health up to now. She said that, now that I know what it is my body is doing and how to anticipate and thus control my cravings, I'll be more free than I ever have been. I had banana bread for the first time in a long time a little over a month ago and it was like drugs. I felt ill and irritated and a little dizzy. I used to put myself through that every single day.

I can't say that I have a whole lot more energy yet, but that's my own fault for having bad sleep hygeine. My craving for sugar is diminished but bread still calls my name.

A friend just called me this past week and said that she's been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. She's starting Body For Life this coming week complete with five meals a day, whey protein powder, and two workouts a day. I find myself grateful for the wakeup calls I've had that kept me from quite getting there. My grandpa has been a great example of a man who has decided to lose weight and exercised what I now consider to be Herculean discipline in doing so, quickly and for the long haul.

I'm just relieved to finally be making desperately needed progress on my health. I've been without my reflux medication for a couple of months now with only one episode of heartburn. So, one health issue is crossed off the list (in pencil, but there you go). I look forward to my slow but steady progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Go You!
(you know you have your own cheerleading squad in WA right?)