Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Novel

I don't know that I've ever counted words in any paper I've written.

But, I'm up to over 8,000 words, and they take up about 11 pages (of the 8.5x11" persuasion)

I've learned that I should have done some prewriting for this, like a thorough outline, and some description of peoples and terrain. Also, naming characters and figuring out who they are as you go isn't easy.

I'm also having trouble figuring out exactly where chapters should start and stop. Developing a sense for how to place all of this stuff is going to take some real work.

But I'm doing it, for the first time. I've started books as a younger person but I was too embarrassed to work on them for long. I've finally learned that I don't have to be embarrassed at my own fantasies. The book exists simply to express them, not to judge me for them.

And that's kinda fun.

The working title is "Kuma's Gift".

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think it's really cool that you are doing this. I would love to write something of some length and substance someday.

RochelleHaddad said...

Andrea, I want you to know that I am having a lot of the same issues with my novel as. Brian and I were talking about it last night. But, I am chugging away just like you. The thing I am most grateful for is the fact that I can revise and revisit my writing later. After all is said and done, I can go back and make some things I was struggling with
(character development) after I am finished writing those glorious 50,000 words. Keep up the good work!

Anne Marie said...

Good for you! I am so proud of you. I'm catching up here. Glad you got to TOFW.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I knew you had something great in you!