Sunday, February 12, 2012

Granola bars

Have you seen the price of granola bars lately? My kids love them.

At Sam's you can get granola bars for 19 cents per 0.86 ounce Quaker Chewy bar. In my state we don't have a food tax. This is actually cheaper than buying in bulk on Amazon, even with free shipping factored in.

On the other hand, if you get this great price you're often stuck with those raisin bars that come in big variety packs that no one wants to eat. The kids might snack on them after all of the chocolate and PB ones get snarfed, but the poor raisin bars languish, unloved, until they expire or my husband takes pity on them and does his duty as the human garbage disposal.

I decided to try making my own granola bars.

A bit of a cost break down:

$0.40 -- 1/4 cup pb (Sam's)
$0.43 -- 1/3 cup honey (cannery)
$0.26 -- 1/4 cup butter (commissary)
$0.27 -- 1 1/2 cups oats (cannery)
$0.50 -- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (commissary, but also a price that can be found at Walmart during the holidays)

$1.86 for a batch of homemade granola bars. 1 batch is 17 ounces. That's about 11 cents per ounces, as opposed to 22.1 cents per ounces on the store stuff. Of course your price goes up if you use organic ingredients, but consider the price of a box of organic granola bars. I also like that the ingredients are pantry staples, so whipping them up is no big deal and keeps me from going to the store as often.

As my husband pointed out, deliciousness matters as well. They get a 5 out of 5 from me. These are denser than the commercial bars and stickier, but otherwise completely comparable and even superior.

1 comment:

CrustyCupcake said...

Try making the energy balls too would ya?!! That way I can see how well they work before I do it!! I even bought some wheat germ - the flax seed just seemed to be having a texture issue & I wasn't ready for that!