Saturday, October 02, 2010

72 hour kits

Growing up, we were told that a great way to rotate your 72 hour kit food was to eat it over General Conference weekend.  I don't know that we really want to though, given that it's all Beanie Weenie, beef stew, and canned ravioli (whatever had a pop-top for convenience) and more granola bars than I'd eat on a normal day.  But, we could break out the wing stove and give it a whirl. 

The wing stove lays very flat, measuring about 1/2" thick when folded.  It is very easy to set up.  The sterno was most surprising.  Tag touched a match to it and nothing happened.  The only thing that changed was the heat distortion observable in its shadow.  We tried putting an unlit match over it to see if it really was heating (since we didn't believe our own eyes) and it burst into flame.  Alrighty, then.

Into the oven it went, and we placed a mess kit pot of Beanie Weenie over it:


Within 3-5 mins, it was boiling.  That is some very hot fuel.  
I think the only things I need to replace this soon are the granola bars.  The slim jims were a little gross so I think I'll replace those, too. 

No comments: