Friday, February 19, 2010

Making a book out of a blog

I've looked at options for making the blog into a bound book before, but here's another one that looks a lot less labor intensive than some.

Going through some of the old posts was so much fun. Why havn't I been posting about my family as much lately?

I guess I got busy.

Princess has been enjoying school but is in the "everything about my life is boring" phase. Since she turned 8, she gets to go to church activities with other girls twice a month. Her first activity was this past Wednesday where she decorated cute Valentine cookies with lemon cream cheese frosting. Her hair is getting quite long which she both loves (because it's beautiful) and hates (because she has to brush it). She is the same height as one of my friends from college.

Tag is also feeling bored with all the dirty snow outside. He's normally outside for as much time as possible during daylight but it's so cold and wet out there that he's finally jumped on the video game bandwagon. Poor kid. He's still resisting reading. I can't wait for him to have summer so we can all go to the pool three times a week.

Pebbles is growing. She's still relatively quiet and intense, but her silly side comes out to play quite often. She's starting to like pink in earnest, but eats the nail polish off of her fingers whenever we paint them. Lava is still her favorite subject in books or on tv.

Freida is a genuine person now. She's talking a lot and has a very strong personality. I don't know if Tag was more cuddly than she is but there isn't much time in the day when she isn't either playing with someone or in a grownup's lap. She loves balloons with a searing passion.

My psych class is very interesting. We're currently learning about sensation vs perception and consciousness. As part of a an object lesson, the teacher passed around bandaids and markers, asking us to put the bandaids on and sniff the markers. I got a good chuckle over the sniffing of the markers, given that a section on consciousness-altering drug use was coming up soon. It turns out that the more you smell something or feel it, the less you'll sense it. And, did you know that one of the reasons you're supposed to apply cold and heat to an injury is that it's difficult to experience both hot/cold and pain at the same time? Cold of course keeps the swelling down, but alternating acts as a natural pain killer.

Human services is still my most fascinating class. It's difficult to explain what makes it so interesting. Maybe because it addresses my favorite topic for the last several years: personal growth and the journey toward autonomy.

Oh, well. Maybe I should just post some of the short papers I've had to write for that class since they deal with some thoughts and experiences anyway.

The snow is still high but slushifying now that the temps are in the 40's, but Monday promises yet more of this white stuff that is both wretched and marvelous. Even college has extended the semester for a week, and there are rumors of spring break being canceled for the kids, especially if we get more time off next week.

Here's my latest crochet project: I shall name him Stanley the Snake. He'll be a good companion for Steve the Gecko.

No comments: