Tuesday, August 05, 2008

M&M's

Man is out processing this week, so he has been sorting through his issued items and generally making sure all of his professional equipment/supplies are in good order. While he did that, I did some of my own out processing. Here's the rundown:

10:00 - Drop hideous, large outside toy at the dumpster outside our neighborhood.
10:10 - Run to Dr's office to get medical records. Find out they will make them while I wait!!
10:30 - Run to next Dr's office to get more medical records. Stop to chat with the parking lot attendant who is former military.
11:00 - Run to hospital for more medical records, where they are offering free small bottles of hand sanitizer to everyone who walks in the door. Yay! I had Princess with me so we both used some. Ugh, it was the kind that stays sticky and slimy for a long time afterward. Blech.
11:45 - Run to Costco, refill glasses cleaner solution, find two items I need (and pick up and put back about 30 items I don't need but WANT WANT WANT). Try to pay with debit card. Crap, wrong PIN three times in a row. Go out to car, use cell phone to call bank and tell them to reactivate my card. Go back and try again, realize that I was trying the wrong PIN the whole time. Slap forehead.
1:00 - (yes, Costco really took that long. It's all in the samples and window shopping) Target to see if school supplies are on sale yet. Nope, but we grabbed a bag of peanut butter M&M's anyway.
1:20 - I dump some M&M's into my (recently thoroughly cleaned) cupholder and hand the bag to Princess. We work our way to the highway and find a high school aged girl on the street corner, begging for food. It's a very common beggar hangout. My window was open so I call out "I don't have cash, but I can give you some Peanut Butter M&M's." She says "oh, ok..." so I reach over into the cupholder, grab her a handful, and hand them over. I was amused to see that the hand sanitizer was still, erm, sticky, so I had to work the last few of them off my hand. Eeeeeeeeww. Then it occurred to me that maybe she thought I had meant an unopened bag of candy. I drove away, knowing I had given what I had available to me. And laughing. And feeling sorry for that young woman who thought that begging was something she felt she had to do.
1:30 - Drop off batteries for recycling, grab some chicken for dinner.
2:00 - Recount to Man the M&M thing. "Well," he said. "Beggar's can't be choosers. It was food." -shrug- Feed baby to sleep then take off again, this time bringing Tag.
2:45 - Run to the next city over to grab more medical records which I requested last week.
3:30 - Stop at WalMart to see if their school supplies are on sale yet. Tag saw the lunch bag that he promised himself to in the pre-mortal life. I offered to buy it for him next week during the sales. He chooses instant gratification and uses his allowance. Whatever. You go, kid.
3:50 - Home again, home again, in time to find Man mostly organized and dashing off to outprocess from the Commissary, PX, and ACS.

Whew! I like this swapping kids thing. It makes errands bearable!! Can you imagine 6 hours worth of driving errands with 4 kids in tow? You can't? Me neither. Every time I try, I get another bowl of ice cream out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Any chance you'll be coming through town on your extended trip out to TX???

Adelheide said...

That's funny, I'm not broke but I probably would've taken some peanut butter m&ms.