Friday, February 02, 2007

What a fun week. I've been home bound this week except for an eye appt for Tag on Monday (no change, which means a slightly stronger prescription) and I caught a glimpse of a Filipino market I'm going to try to check out tonight. I've been walking with my friend quite a bit this week and, is it a fluke? It must be! I checked the scale and everything and I've almost completely lost the weight I put on after moving in with Man again. lol I'm still struggling with a hard core sugar addiction but the walking has dimmed the drive for sugar. I do alright as long as it isn't around for a long time, but I find myself wandering the kitchen in search of something sweet. Princess Butterfly is a very wise young lady and has been rationing out some honey sticks her grandma gave her for her birthday and was kind enough to share one with me (tasted sort of minty) and it seemed to hit the sugar craving really well with such a tiny portion. I've talked to Man in all seriousness about keeping sweets under lock and key. I think that while I was able to kick the habit while living with friends, I wasn't able to kick the addiction. Is it possible to kick addictions? I think about alcoholics or cigarette smokers who can't even smell their vice without having difficulty resisting the urge to just go back to their former ways. I know it's possible to keep refined sugar away forever, but I sure don't want to, and I really hope I don't need to. It's such a slippery slope and it does so much damage to my ability to function pleasantly around my family that at this point it seems like banning it altogether might be my best option. Especially with a strong family history of diabetes. A friend told me that I couldn't just fool my head with gum or carrots, but I should go for a walk or write in a journal. So far the walking is helping, and this is the closest thing to a journal I have. Maybe it's time to get all my craft stuff out again. Maybe have "crafting parties" at my place every week. That'd be a great way to meet people!

No comments: